I saw a demo of a similar salad on the news hour of a local TV station recently and took note. Here was another way to enjoy all the fresh veggies from our neighbourhood greenhouse...and it looked like the perfect patio lunch salad to me! We love it and would be quite happy to make a meal of this salad regularly. The long strips of veggies take the place of noodles...a healthy, veggie salad. I used a potato peeler for the carrots and cucumbers and cut the peppers and cabbage on a mandolin slicer. If you happen to have a fancy spiral veggie slicer...this would be a good recipe to use it on.
- 4 mini cucumbers, cut in long thin strips
- 4 large carrots, in strips (use potato peeler)
- 1 red pepper, cut in strips
- 1 yellow pepper, cut in strips
- chopped red cabbage, 2 cups
- chopped green cabbage, 2 cups
- chopped peanut, 1/2 cup or to taste
- Cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- Prepare all veggies and arrange on four individual serving plates.
- Drizzle with dressing. (Recipe below.)
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and cilantro leaves.
Thai Peanut Dressing:
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons water (or as required)
- Combine all ingredients (except water) in a blender jar.
- Blend until smooth, adding enough water to make a pourable dressing.
Serves 4. (Use half the veggies to serve 2)