Here is another variation made with chicken and teriyaki sauce.
Actually the variations of this layered dip are limited only by your taste preferences and imagination.
It's a great appetizer to bring to that neighbourhood BBQ.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- about 1 cup prepared or bottled Teriyaki Sauce* (recipe follows)
- 2 cups finely cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts or cashews
- fresh chives, finely snipped
* You could substitute a Thai Sweet Chili sauce or a Peanut sauce for the Teriyaki)
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
(This is also good brushed over chicken. If you are doing it on the barbecue, only brush it on for the last few minutes of cooking.)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 finely minced clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or pineapple juice
- Mix all the Teriyaki sauce ingredients except cornstarch and water in microwaveable bowl.
- Heat in microwave at 1 minute intervals, stirring in between until mixture is heated.
- Mix cornstarch and water or juice and stir into hot mixture.
- Return to microwave and cook until it bubbles. If sauce seems too thick, add more water or juice.
- Cool to room temperature before spreading over cream cheese layer.
- This makes quite a thick sauce. If using it to brush over barbecued or baked chicken, you may want to thin the sauce with more juice.
To Assemble Dip:
- Prepare Teriyaki sauce and let cool to room temperature. Or prepare a day ahead, refrigerating the sauce.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat cream cheese with sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth and creamy.
- Spread cream cheese in a thin layer on a serving platter.
- Spread a layer of Teriyaki sauce evenly over the cream cheese layer, leaving a bit of the cream cheese showing around the edge.
- Mix cubed chicken with about 1/2 - 1/3 cup Teriyaki sauce. You just want to be sure the chicken all has a light coating of sauce.
- Spread chicken evenly over Teriyaki sauce, leaving a bit of the sauce showing around the edge.
- Sprinkle chicken with chopped carrot, nuts and chives.
- Serve with crackers or multigrain chips.