here. It is simple and satisfying and will serve 6 people generously.
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/3 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 well beaten eggs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 of a green bell pepper chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 cup of tomatoes chopped (or canned chopped tomatoes)
- 1 -6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the spaghetti in salted boiling water, drain.
- Stir butter into hot spaghetti. Stir in Parmesan and beaten eggs. Form spaghetti mixture into a "crust" in a buttered 10 inch round baking dish.
- Saute the onion and green pepper in a tablespoon of Olive oil until soft and then add the hamburger to the mixture and cook till hamburger is browned. Drain off excess fat. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano and garlic salt. Heat through. Add salt to taste if desired.
- Spread cottage cheese over the spaghetti crust in the baking dish. Pour and spread the hamburger mixture over the cottage cheese. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and bake an additional 5 minutes or till cheese melts.
Here's what I learned from commenters the first time around with this recipe. If you want to use your favorite spaghetti sauce instead of the cup of tomatoes and tomato paste you can substitute 12-14 oz. of sauce. You can use ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese. Add a cup of cheese on top instead of just a 1/2 cup if your family really enjoys melted cheese.