This recipe was inspired by a dish I would most often choose from a Chinese Menu and adapted from 30-Minute Skinny Orange Chicken.
- 2 bonelesss chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour (or conrstarch for GF)
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- oil for browning
- orange zest/rind from 1 orange
- juice from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Sambal Oelek chili paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup water
- green onion and or sesame seeds for garnish
- Prepare a plate with flour and a small bowl with whisked egg.
- Cube chicken into small bite size pieces. Sprinkle lightly with salt and dredge (by handfuls) through flour and then the egg. Spread out in single layer in heated, oiled fry pan.
- Brown one side and then the other, on medium heat, flipping a spatula full at a time.
- While chicken is cooking, mix the rest of the ingredients for the orange sauce, shaking up the cornstarch with 1/4 cup water, before adding. (leave out garnish)
- Remove browned chicken from pan. In same pan, add orange sauce, stir and cook until thickened, about a minute. Add in more water according to thickness and taste, then the chicken.
- Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes. Serve over 1/2 cup brown rice cooked, and sprinkle with green onion and or sesame seeds.