Who doesn't like a yeast donut with a sticky yummy glaze?
A family favorite..our children and grandchildren love them! They were also popular with a friend and her children many years ago. When I knew they were coming for an afternoon visit I would often make these donuts. I remember us all sitting around the table munching away on donuts with a couple of wet wash cloths on the table for face and hand wiping. I think I need to plan another donut day this summer and invite them all down again!
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 cups water, lukewarm
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 8 - 8 1/4 cups flour
- Scald milk, stir in butter, sugar, salt, and lukewarm water. Whisk till butter is melted and sugar dissolved.
- Whisk eggs till foamy and add to the warm milk mixture.
- Add 4 cups flour, yeast, and mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour one cup at a time and knead until dough is smooth, it will still be slightly sticky.
- Place in a covered bowl in a warm place and let rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down.
- Divide the dough into 3 balls. Roll out each ball to 1/4 to 3/8" thick on a floured surface, using just enough flour so dough doesn't stick to the surface. I don't re-roll the scraps, instead just let them rise along with the 'donut holes' and fry them like the donuts. (The fried donut 'scraps' are often grabbed first!)
- Using a donut cutter, cut donuts and place on a cookie sheet sprayed with oil, leaving space between each donut for rising.
- Deep fry in hot oil on medium high heat (375º) till donuts are golden on one side, flip over and fry till golden or done. Cut into the first one to give you the timing for doneness.
- Glaze while warm.
Sticky Syrupy Glaze:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Boil first 3 ingredients for 4 to 5 minutes, till glaze is syrupy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Dip warm donuts in glaze and enjoy!
I only glaze as much as I want to serve, as they are best eaten fresh!
The leftover glaze and unglazed donuts freeze well.
Reheat frozen donuts in the oven and glaze with reheated glaze.