Cherry pie filling and canned peaches with a hint of lemon and cinnamon is a delicious combo for the filling. This was our dessert for Valentine's Day dinner.
This is a little different method of making a cobbler. Rolling out the dough, spreading with peach jam and rolled up pinwheel style is a different twist to the topping.
- 1 can 540 ml/ 19 oz cherry pie filling
- 1 cup canned sliced peaches, drained and slices cut in half
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons peach jam
- 2 teaspoons coarse sugar
- In a greased oven/microwave 8" square baking dish combine cherry pie filling, peaches, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Microwave uncovered for 4 minutes until heated through.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together dry topping ingredients.
- Cut in butter until you have coarse crumbs.
- Stir in buttermilk just until dry ingredients are moistened. Dump onto your counter and knead lightly until dough forms a ball.
- Roll dough into 8" x 9" rectangle. Spread peach jam over dough, roll up like a jelly roll starting with 8" side. Cut into 9 even slices.
- Place slices of dough over filling.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar, I was out of coarse sugar and used granulated.
- Bake in a 400º oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Yield: 9 servings