It's the end of July which tells you that most of my produce is ready in my garden.
This week we have been enjoying beets.
You either love them or
hate dislike them.
Here are some scrumptious ways to eat fresh and colorful beets.
Raw ~ Slice them up and serve them with a sprinkle of chile and lemon.
Soups ~ Make a traditional Ukrainian Borscht.
Roasted ~ This is my all time favorite. They are tender and juicy.
In a Salad ~ Today beets are making a statement in many salads.
Pickled ~ Pickled beets have been around forever. Enjoy the tangy vinegar taste.
Desserts ~ yes, you can even enjoy a velvety beet cake.
A quick trip to the garden:
- Hand pick the smallest ones. They are tender.
- Wash them, cut down the foliage leaving a stem of three inches.
- Boil them for 30-40 minutes.
- Drain the water and slip off the skins with your hands.
- If you prefer to keep your hands clean, you can also use a paper towel.
- Add fresh herbs as they complement their natural sweetness.
- Add a touch of butter, salt and pepper with a quick squeeze of lemon.
- Beets keep for quite awhile in the fridge if you remove the greens.
What's your favorite recipe for beets?