Looking for a quick and beautiful dessert? This is a take off of the chocolate Bodentorte-wanna-be- Black Forrest. I use a cake mix, because it's light and makes for just the right flavor combinations.
- 1 Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix ( will make 2 cakes or cupcakes on the side)
- 1/2 - 3/4 can cherry pie filling
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Grease a flan cake pan well, making sure all the creases get covered.. Dust with flour and tap to cover lightly.
- Mix cake according to package directions. Spread about half of the batter into pan, to just below the rim. Use the leftover batter for cupcakes.
- Bake at 350° F for about 25 minutes, until toothpick tests done.
- Let sit in pan for about 10 minutes. Loosen edges with butter knife or pull back from edge with clean fingers if some help is needed. Cover with a cake plate and flip. It patches easily if you don't totally succeed. Allow to cool.
- Mix cherry pie filling and strawberries. Spread onto cake.
- Beat whipping cream with sugar until you can lift beaters to form peaks.
- Spread onto cake. Keeps well for next day.
Alternately, with the extra batter, stir in the other half of the cherry pie filling and bake in a square pan. Freeze to have on hand to serve with ice cream and hot fudge sauce.