For Flash Back Friday, I'd like to bring back a favourite breakfast casserole.
I was recently asked to bring this to a baby shower brunch
and it was enjoyed by all the guests.
The addition of roasted red peppers and fresh basil adds extra flavour and
brings this "Wifesaver" to company status.
- 6-8 slices thick sliced bread, white or whole wheat (I like to use Whole Wheat French bread or a Rustic loaf.)
- 1/2 of a link (approximately 3/4 pound) smoked farmer sausage, skin removed *
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup half and half cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used Cheddar, Gruyere and Swiss)
* If you are using raw farmer sausage, crumble it into a pan and fry it until cooked. Cool and use as directed below.
- In a buttered 9"x13" pan or casserole dish, lay out bread slices, fitting them tightly together in the bottom of the dish.
- Cut 6-8 slices from the sausage and set aside.
- Using a table knife or 2 forks, coarsely shred the rest of the sausage meat and lay over bread.
- Saute' onion in butter until softened and spread over sausage.
- Lay out roasted red peppers on a paper towel to blot out some of the liquid, then cut them into a 1/2" dice and arrange over onion.
- Sprinkle with chopped basil.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs until frothy. Then add milk, cream, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, mixing well.
- Pour over bread and sausage in dish.
- Top with shredded cheese and arrange sausage slices on top.
- Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove casserole from fridge, then preheat oven to 350º F.
- Bake casserole for 1 hour or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it rest 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a fruit salad and muffins if desired.