Banana Bread is the simplest of quick breads to bake but it can go quite wrong. . .too many bananas or not enough bananas. . .and well this is just one recipe of many good recipes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a large 9 X 5 loaf pan with parchment paper. . leaving the ends without is fine. I just find that this helps in baking the loaf evenly. . .not too brown a crust. Give it a spray of Pam.
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup of oatmeal .. .I used porridge oats that had bran and flax added
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix together these ingredients and set aside
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups of mashed very ripe bananas .. .I used 5 medium
- 1 cup of finely chopped walnuts .. optional
- 1/2 cup of fine coconut. . . optional
- the nuts and coconut just add a bit of crunch. . .if you like crunch
- Cream together the soft butter and brown sugar .. you can use a wooden spoon or a mixer for this.
- Add the beaten eggs and the bananas.
- Slowly stir in the dry ingredients and the optional nuts and coconut.
- Turn the batter into the loaf pan and Bake for 60 minutes. Poke a toothpick in the cracked top and it should come out quite clean. My toothpick still had a wee bit of dampness on it but I declared it done and once sliced .. . it was.