There’s nothing quite like apple pie in July! Yellow transparents are an early apple and ready for the picking…and they make a wonderful, old-fashioned apple pie. I like to make 'apple-pie-by-the-pan' to feed a crowd...or simply to freeze and take out a few pieces at a time.
Apple Pie Squares
- 1 ½ cup margarine
- 3 ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg yolk and milk to make 1 cup
- 6 cups peeled, sliced apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Cut margarine into flour and salt.
- Add egg yolk and milk.
- Roll out half the dough and place on large bar pan...about 12 x 16 inches.
- Spread apple slices evenly over bottom pastry.
- Sprinkle with sugar, flour, and cinnamon mixture.
- Roll out other half of dough and place on top…pinch edges.
- Beat egg white until foamy and spread over crust.
- Bake at 400 for fifteen minutes…reduce heat to 325 and bake an additional 30 minutes.