My friend Em shared this recipe with me. I adapted it slightly to my liking. My Mom loved this rice salad and she would always ask me to bring it to every family gathering. It is a large recipe so make sure it's shared!
Some of our family prefers to eat it as a dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups long grained rice (short grain is fine too, matter of preference)
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 398 ml (14oz) can of fruit cocktail
- 1 398 ml (14 oz) can pineapple tidbits or crushed if you prefer
- 1 pint whipping cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla ( I use Mexican vanilla)
- Bring rice, salt and 6 cups of water to boil in a covered pot, stir once, cover again and let simmer for 18 min.
- Drain and rinse rice with hot water in colander and let drip.
- Put rice in large bowl together with the sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Let sit in fridge for 6 hours.
- Just before serving I add some fresh fruit like strawberries, grapes, blueberries, etc. Not necessary but it sure makes the salad look pretty!