Your favorite biscuit or scone pastry. I use:
- 2 c flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 6 Tbsp butter, room temp.
- 1 c buttermilk or milk
- 2 - 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 c icing (confectioner's) sugar
- In medium sized bowl, mix dry ingredients, then cut in butter with pastry blender.
- Add buttermilk, stirring with fork until dough holds together. Shape into a ball.
- You can divide pastry in half and pat into a rectangular shape on lightly floured surface, rolling each half out to 6 x 12 inch strip OR roll out the whole recipe to 6x24.
- Spread with melted butter, then with sugar/cinnamon/flour (mixed)
- Starting from long side, fold over twice, so that you have a 2 inch strip that has 3 layers.
- Cut into 3/4 inch slices and twist each slice so that it looks like the figure 8. (right hand twists away from you and left hand toward you)
- Place on greased and floured (or parchment paper lined) cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400F until golden. About 12 - 14 minutes. Yield: approx. 30 mini twists
Fill a 1 c measuring cup 3/4 full of icing sugar. Stir while adding a little water at a time, until it has an easy spreading consistency. Drizzle or brush over warm twists. (If you did not use
parchment paper, remove twists from sheet with lifter before sugar, that has run out, hardens.)