Your favorite biscuit or scone pastry. I use:
- 2 c flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar (optional)
- 6 Tbsp butter, room temp.
- 1 c buttermilk or milk
- 2 - 3 Tbsp melted butter
- 3/4 c brown sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 c icing (confectioner's) sugar
- In medium sized bowl, mix dry ingredients, then cut in butter with pastry blender. Add buttermilk, stirring with fork until dough holds together. Shape into a ball.
- Divide pastry in half and pat into a rectangular shape on lightly floured surface.
- Roll each half out to 6 x 12 inch strip.
- Spread with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon.
- Starting from long side, fold over twice, so that you have a 2 inch strip that has 3 layers.
- Cut into 3/4 inch slices and twist each slice so that it looks like the figure 8. (right hand twists away from you and left hand toward you)
- Place on greased and floured (or parchment paper lined) cookie sheet.
- Bake at 400F until golden. About 12 min. Yield: approx. 30 mini twists
Fill a 1 c measuring cup 3/4 full of icing sugar. Stir while adding a little water at a time, until it has a good spreading consistency. Drizzle or brush over warm twists. (If you did not use
parchment paper, remove twists from sheet with lifter before sugar, that has run out, hardens.)