Fresh Gooseberry Mooss (Stachelbaare or Kjressbaarmooss)
This is a wonderfully tart, refreshing Mooss with a delicate flavor. Kjressbaar lovers will enjoy this treat.
- 4 c. fresh or frozen gooseberries
- 5 c. water
- 1 c. sugar
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. cream
- 1 1/2 c. milk
- In a saucepan bring gooseberries and water to a boil. Simmer 5 - 6 minutes.
- Stir a thin paste of the sugar, flour and part of the cream.
- Add slowly to the gooseberry mixture, alternating with the remaining milk and cream.
- Stir constantly. Remove from heat. Cool.
A Canadian version would be to add an egg to the thickening after the berries have been boiled to make it more custard like. Add a little hot fruit to the flour/sugar/cream and/egg mixture. Stir well. Then return egg mixture to the gooseberries. Stir constantly. Boil 2 minutes, 1 tsp. vanilla is optional. Cool, Enjoy!