Wishing all of our American friends
a happy Thanksgiving Day!
If you like ginger snaps, or ginger crinkles as some like to call them, you will probably like this wonderful lemony twist.. This is a small recipe, quick to make and no decorating needed.
- 1/2 cup butter, soft
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp lemon Jello crystals
- 1 egg
- fine zest from 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
coating: (place separately into small bowls)
- 1/4 cups sugar mixed with 1 Tbsp lemon Jello crystals
- 1/4 cup icing sugar (confectioners)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 1 large or 2 medium cookie sheets.
- In mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and lemon crystals until creamy.
- Stir lemon zest, vanilla and egg in well.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir into wet.
- Scoop dough out by teaspoon and roll into 1 inch balls.
- Roll each cookie first in lemon sugar and then in icing sugar.
- Place with a bit of spreading room on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 - 11 minutes or until soft and crackley, just barrely starting to turn golden. If not sure, check the underneath. When out of the oven, slam cookie sheet down once (on heat resistant surface) to made them fall slightly.
- Cool. Dust with more icing sugar if desired just before serving. Yield 24 - 30 medium size cookies.
- Keep in covered container in cool place or freeze.
Tip: Using light colored (aluminum) baking sheets helps to keep light colored cookies from burning.
If using dark colored sheets, place foil under sheet on rack OR cook on rack placed higher than center of oven.