These chicken mini turnovers are a great appetizer to serve for the Grey Cup game or for that matter any occasion. Dip these warm turnovers in a sweet chili sauce and you will go back for seconds..guaranteed!
Adapted from Taste of Home.
- 1/4 cup celery (it calls for onions but we prefer celery)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 package (250 gram) cream cheese, cubed
- In a large skillet saute celery in butter until tender.
- Add chicken, broth, seasonings, and cream cheese stirring until cream cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Pastry:*Note: I had topping mixture left over..it's very tasty spread on a bun with a sprinkle of cheese and broiled in oven until bubbly and toasty.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 4 or 5 tablespoons cold water.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour and seasonings.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add water a tablespoon at a time tossing mixture with a fork until a ball forms.
- On a floured surface roll out pastry to approx 1/16 inch thickness. Cut circles with a 3" round cutter. Re-roll scraps and cut more circles until the pastry is used up.
- Mound a heaping teaspoon of chicken filling on half of each circle. Moisten edges with water, fold pastry over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Prick tops with fork.
- Bake at 375º for 20 minutes. They should be golden in color.
- Yield: 20 They freeze well.