These cookies take me back to my growing up years. My sister Rhoda came home from school one day with a new recipe from her Home Economics cooking class. Snickerdoodles soon became a house hold favourite.
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Cream together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until creamy.
- Add all dry ingredients and beat until incorporated.
- Stir together sugar coating in a small bowl.
- Roll cookies into 1 1/2" balls and then roll in the sugar coating covering all sides.
- Bake at 375º for 8 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Allow to cool on pan for 1-2 minutes before removing to cooling rake.
These cookies freeze well.
Yields approximately 2 1/2 dozen.