I've started to enlist the help of Mom to come help me make treats for the littles lunches.
These pizza pretzels are not a pretzel in the true sense that they are boiled first but they have the pretzel shape and they are a real hit.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- about 1 1/4 cup white flour additional flour to make a soft dough
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup soft or melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 2 slightly beaten large eggs
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl or in the bowl of your mixer. Stir to combine.
- Heat the milk up until it is hot to touch. Add water, butter and eggs. Whisk together.
- Add to the dry ingredients in the bowl. Stir to combine and then knead, adding flour as needed until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, cover with a tea towel and allow to rise for about 45 minutes or until double. You can put the dough in the refrigerator overnight. Allow to come to come to room temperature before shaping into buns.
- pizza sauce
- cheddar mozzarella blend shredded cheese (about 2 pounds)
- dry pizza sliced pepperoni *
- Divide dough in half and roll into a large rectangle. Cut into long strips and then roll with your hands to round them off. The strip should be about 18 inches long.
- Fold in half and twist it about half way down and then form into pretzel shape as shown in photo below.
- Let rise on greased pans or pans lined with parchment paper until doubled in bulk. Spread with pizza sauce and sprinkle with cheese and put a few pieces of pepperoni on each pretzel.
- Preheat oven to 350 and bake until the cheese has melted and the buns are golden brown.
- Allow to cool and then freeze in bags.