Our blackberry patch at the back of our property is already ripe with fresh berries.
I first posted this recipe in 2012 and it's still one we enjoy now in summer or during the winter months with frozen blackberries.
You can put together this pie with a frozen pie shell in minutes.
- 1 pie crust frozen from the store of you can use my favorite Dorothy's Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cup frozen or fresh blackberries
- 3 fresh pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375. F.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry, trim edges.
- Arrange blackberries on the crust and cover with the sliced pears.
- Combine the white sugar and tapioca and sprinkle over the fruit, tapping the pan a bit to help the mixture filter down.
- To make streusel crumbs, melt the butter, and stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle crumbs over the fruit.
- Bake for approximately one hour (if using frozen berries) or until the juices are bubbling and the crust is beautifully browned.
- If the crust browns too quickly, place a large aluminum pie plate over top with the center cut out..leaving a rim to protect the crust.