Once you have frozen your blackberries it is time to start dreaming up ideas of how to bless others with them. Since you can't surely eat a whole pie by yourself I always think of pies as sharing food.
When you are invited out to dinner.... and you ask what you can bring...
do you always hope it is the dessert? That is what I always hope.
This pie crust was taken out of the freezer and left to thaw for an hour on the counter before rolling out. The "putting together" of the pie took only minutes..
and then all that was left was the peeking in the oven window.
- 1 pie crust disc of Dorothy's Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cup frozen blackberries, enough to cover the bottom of your pie pan
- 3 fresh pears, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oatmeal
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Roll out pastry. Line a 9 inch deep dish pie plate with the pastry leaving the edges hanging over the sides. Roll the pastry under to form a rim.
- Put the frozen blackberries on the bottom of the pan and cover with the sliced pears. Combine the white sugar and tapioca and sprinkle over the fruit.. tapping the pan a bit to help the mixture filter down.
- Melt the butter, and stir in the remaining ingredients and sprinkle it over the fruit.
- Bake at 375 F for one hour or until the juices are bubbling and the crust is beautifully browned.
- If the crust browns too quickly, place a large aluminum pie plate over top with the center cut out..leaving a rim to protect the crust.