It could also be served with fresh raspberries or peaches.
The meringues can be made ahead and even frozen for a hassle free dessert.
For the Meringues:
- 3 egg whites at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Preheat oven to 225º.
- Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until light and foamy.
- Continue beating, adding the sugar 2 Tbsp at a time and beating well between additions.
- Add vinegar and vanilla and beat until thick.
- Using a large star tip and piping bag, pipe meringue in a 4" inch circle, making a spiral to fill the centre and then pipe 2 more circles around the outside building up the sides to make a nest shape.
- Repeat with remaining meringue to make 6 nests.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 2 hours.
- Leaving the meringues in the oven, turn oven off leave them until they are completely cool.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 generous Tbsp. icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind
- 2 Tsp. lemon juice
- 4 tsp. sherry (this gives it a very unique flavour)
- Fresh strawberries or peaches, sweetened to taste
- Whip cream with icing sugar until thickened.
- Add lemon rind, juice and sherry and beat until blended.
- To serve, pile lemon cream in centre of each meringue nest and top with sweetened berries or peaches.
- Serves 6.