When I want to make a special meal for my husband, my sons or my dad - this is what I serve.
Although beef tenderloin can be expensive, it can be bought whole in some butcher shops and cut up into steaks at home which brings the price down. Tenderloin steak does not need to be marinated but I like the flavour a marinade adds to the meat.
If tenderloin is not in your budget, the marinade works very well with less tender steaks such as top sirloin, T bone or even flank. Just adjust the marinating time accordingly.
- 1 beef tenderloin steak per person*
- Grainy Mustard Marinade (recipe follows)
- 1 or 2 large onions
- 10 large mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (opt.)
* Remember that because of the dense texture of a tenderloin steak, the steaks do not need to be as large as other cuts of steak.
For the Grainy Mustard Marinade: (enough to marinate 4 steaks.)
- 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup low sodium Soya Sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 1 Tbsp. Montreal Steak Spice
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Mix all marinade ingredients together until blended.
- 1 to 2 hours before grilling, pour marinade over tenderloin steaks in a large zippered plastic bag. (marinate sirloin steak for 2 to 3 hours; flank steak for 7 to 8 hours)
- Before zipping the bag shut, squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can.
- Leave on the kitchen counter, turning the bag over occassionally, until ready to grill.
- Grill steaks on a hot grill according to desired doneness - we like our tenderloin done medium rare.
- While the steaks are grilling, prepare the mushrooms and onions.
- Arrange steaks, mushrooms and onions on a large platter and serve.
For the mushrooms and onions:
- Slice onion in half and then cut thin wedges from the root end to the stem end
- Heat oil and butter in frying pan on medium high and saute onions until they carmelize - 10 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Add 1 Tbsp. butter to the pan and saute sliced mushrooms until golden.
- You may add a Tbsp. of balsamic vinegar to the mushrooms to intensify the flavour.