When fresh tomatoes are in season, this is a lovely snack or appetizer. Spooned on to crostini the flavour bursts with freshness. It takes only a few minutes to assemble so it's good for when the neighbours drop by.
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped red pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped green pepper
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. good balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 or 5 large basil leaves coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few drops hot pepper sauce if desired
For the Crostini
- 1 baguette
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- Combine all bruschetta ingredients in a bowl and let stand while you prepare the crostini.
- Combine olive oil and minced garlic in a small bowl.
- Slice Baguette and toast slices under the broiler until lightly browned.
- Lightly brush baguette slices with garlic olive oil and place in serving basket.
- Pass the bruschetta and spoon a generous amount on the crostini.