This recipe came about as a result of trying to be creative when needing to make a quick lunch for a husband who comes home for lunch more often than not. I decided to call it 'soup for two' because it’s so easy and quick. Originally I posted it as broccoli soup, but since I made it with cauliflower last, that's what it is now. I like to serve it with Judy's cheddar scones. This updated version could serve up to four.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups whole milk or 31/2 cups 2% and 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 3 tsp better than bouillon (chicken flavored) or 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 small - medium head cauliflower (4 - 5 cups) cut into tid bit sizes
- 6 strips bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- In medium pot, melt butter. Add flour, stirring with whisk
- Add milk, slowly at first, stirring until it begins to bubble.
- Add bouillon and small chopped tid bits of cauliflower or broccoli
- Simmer until cauliflower is soft, about 15 minutes.
- Add bacon and cheese.
Hint: do not use a low fat milk, as it can cause the soup to curdle while cooking. You may get away with using 2% if you let it simmer gently and do not let it boil hard.
originally posted - broccoli soup