Dishes made with jelly powder were quite popular in the 70's, whether it was in salads or desserts. I used to make a popular dessert with jello and angel food cake but couldn't locate my recipe. I found one on tasteofhome.com that looked like the one I used to make. I changed it up a wee bit. My daughter Alison and I were discussing different ways to make this. She suggested incorporating cottage cheese which would be delicious and I thought different flavors of jello would work too. Next time I make this (and there will be a next time, there are after all many jelly powder flavors:) I will fold the cake pieces into the jello mixture instead of putting the layer of cake cubes in the bottom of the pan. Then pour it into a jello mold.
This is a simple, light, and refreshing dessert for spring!
- 1 84g (4 serving size) package lime jelly powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 prepared angel food cake..I used 3/4 of the cake..the rest can be used for another dessert:)
- 1 250g (8 oz) package of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups whipped topping
- Dissole lime jelly powder and boiling water in a bowl. Set in fridge for 45 minutes, just until it begins to thicken.
- Cut 3/4 of the angel food cake into 1 inch cubes and place in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, and lime juice until smooth.
- Add the slightly thickened lime jelly/water mixture and beat until combined. Fold in whipped topping and pour over cake cubes to cover completely.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Cut in squares, serve plain or for a pretty presentation, top with a dollop of whipped topping and a bit of grated lime zest.
- Serves 12 to 15