For the Roll:
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (I used Pillsbury 15 ounce box)
- 4 stalks of rhubarb, chopped (approx. 2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Shred the rhubarb in a food processor. Drain as much of the liquid as you can from the mixture. Keep pressing the rhubarb in a sieve until you remove up to a cup of liquid.
- Mix together the cornstarch, walnuts, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Add the drained rhubarb and mix well.
- Place the pie crust on a lightly floured surface.
- Spread the rhubarb mixture lengthwise on one end and roll into a log, moisten and seal the ends.
- Place on baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
In small bowl mix together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to a drizzling consistency.
Remove roll from oven and let cool.
Drizzle the glaze on top.
Add sliced almonds if you desire.
Cut into slices and serve.
Yield: 6-8 slices
The roll is still not perfect in appearance but it is tasty and not overly sweet.