While on an RV road trip through the eastern states several years ago...we spent some time in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. We had the privilege of being invited to a home for dinner one night, and enjoying a wonderful home-cooked meal of favorite local cuisine. As we parted ways that evening, we were given a parting gift by our hostess...a pan of blueberry baked oatmeal to enjoy on the road. And enjoy it we did!!! I have been stirring up my own version of that dish since that time...one that also has bananas in the mix. It always brings back memories of summertime in Lancaster County...the warm hospitality and wonderful foods we enjoyed while we were there. Baked oatmeal is a wonderful and healthy breakfast treat...and can be refrigerated for several days.
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats (large flake)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- Grease an 8" square baking dish.
- Mix oats, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, sugar and almonds together in a bowl.
- Whisk milk, egg and oil together in a separate bowl. Add mashed bananas. (Or combine milk, eggs, oil and bananas in blender and pulse until smooth.)
- Add to oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Gently stir in the blueberries and spread in prepared baking dish. (I like to save a few blueberries to sprinkle on top.)
- Bake at 350° F for 35 minutes...or until top is golden.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup, a dollop of yogurt or a splash of milk.