My granddaughters commented on how they missed having Spring Rolls on their 'gluten free' diet and I got to thinking -- why couldn't I just use the Mennonite pancakes (crepes) instead of the wheat wraps. I tried it, and my girls love them - they said they actually prefer them to the 'real' thing.
So here is the recipe ..
For the wraps ...
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup Julie's flour mix
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Put all ingredients into a bowl or large measuring cup and whisk thoroughly until perfectly smooth.
- Heat skillet -- I used an 8" -- Melt a dab of butter tilting skillet to coat bottom.
- Pour just enough batter into the skillet to cover the bottom, again tilting skillet.
- Brown on one side , them flip to brown the other side.
- Stack on plate.
- I didn't carefully measure my ingredients ... you could use your favorite spring roll filling ingredients. I used a mix of chopped fine, cooked chicken breast, green cabbage, grated carrots, onion greens, garlic and salt.
- Toss ingredients in skillet with a bit of oil, cooking for a few minutes.
- To create wraps ... place a generous tablespoon on the wrap... turn up the bottom over it, fold in the sides, and then roll to edge. To make sure the edge sticks I sprinkled a little grated Parmesan cheese along the edge before rolling. See photo below.
- Place wraps close together in baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- These freeze well to reheat or put in lunches.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. honey
Mix all ingredients, pour into a jar and shake well to blend.