We love breakfast at our place and with it being Flash back Friday I thought I'd bring back one of our favourites. The creamy texture of the hot baked avocado is complimented by the bacon and egg, that when cooked is almost the texture of a poached egg. Since posting this recipe back in 2012 I've had a few people say that they have a hard time tucking the bacon between the avocado skin and the meat of the avocado as shown in the first photo above. No problem! As shown in the second photo just bake the avocado with the egg in it as directed below, fry the bacon separately while the eggs bake, crumble and top the avocado and egg once baked.
- 1 ripe avocado, (but not overly soft)
- 4 pieces of bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- green onions, thinly sliced, optional for garnish
- Cut avocado in half and remove seed.
- Fry bacon until lightly crisp, but still pliable.
- Place avocado halves on the underside of a muffin tin, resting it between the inverted cups. This will hold it in place so it does not roll. (Cleaver guy!)
- Lightly salt and pepper avocado.
- Using a sharp knife separate the meat from the skin of the avocado, but still leave it in tact.
- Cut bacon into 2" pieces and gently slide it between the meat and skin of the avocado and around the top edge.
- Break one egg over each bacon topped avocado, filling the hole.
- Sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake in oven preheated to 375º for 20 minutes or until egg is cooked to your liking.
- Garnish with green onions and serve immediately with a slice of toast.