The first time I had this appetizer, it was pretty well devoured by the time I got to it, but breaking off the crust with even just a hint of the dip on it was so good I had to make it myself not long after. The recipe comes from Dorothy who hosts many a party at the B&B she and her husband run. You can use a purchased French bread loaf or make your own, in the shape you like.
Dip ingredients for 1 loaf:
- 1 long or round loaf of French bread (homemade recipe here - makes 2 loaves)
- 2 - 8 oz pkgs cream cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 can crab meat
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tsp dill weed
- 1 box bacon dipper crackers
- bread, cubed
- With mixer, beat cream cheese and mayo well, then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Trim top layer off bread, then cut around inside crust, leaving about 1 inch rim, to create a boat or bowl. Scoop out bread all in one piece with your hand.
- Fill hollow with dip mix and put the lid back on.
- Wrap in foil and bake 1 1/2- 2 hours at 350 F.
- Unwrap and serve with crackers and bread. I had extra bread. Serves 12 (maybe more if the bowl gets cleaned up.