I have a question , If sweet is bad why is 'sweet' sooooo sweet?
This is my husband's favorite square with an explosion of flavor that makes people ask .. "What's in here?"
This square is sweet but not too sweet with a light crumb base and optional icing.
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/4 cup white bean (or chick pea) flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch/flour
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Mix dry ingredients for the base.
- Melt butter and using pastry blender mix melted butter into dry ingredients until evenly crumbled.
- Press crumbs into a 9x9" baking pan
- Bake for 5 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove from oven. (no need to cool)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 slightly rounded tbsp sweet rice flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup maraschino cherries cut in halves or quarters (tip - I cut them on folded paper towelling to make sure they are well drained)
- 3/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries -- cherry flavored
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Beat eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder and vanilla together until smooth and light.
- Stir in fruit and nuts.
- Pour over crumb base and return to oven for another 25 minutes.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsp milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Put sugar, butter and milk in sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil and let boil for about 45 seconds.
- Add icing sugar and stir until perfectly smooth.
- Spread over warm squares and smooth top. Because filling tends to have a crumbly top spread with care - using the back of a plastic spoon heated in boiling water helps to smooth the icing.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over icing if desired. (I had some left over white chocolate wafers from making my granddaughter cake pops and I added some dark chocolate to them -- hence the light colour of the drizzled chocolate in the photo squares.)
Note: These squares are also nice without the icing ... just dust with icing sugar before serving.
You may also personalize the fruit/nuts in the filling - choose from candied fruit, raisins, coconut, dried berries etc.