Honey Oatmeal Bread
- 41/2 - 5 cups freshly ground whole wheat flour
- 2 Tsp. vital wheat gluten
- 2 packages fast rising yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- In a larger mixing bowl combine 2 cups of flour and yeast.
- Heat milk, honey, oil, and salt in microwave till about 115 degrees. (luke warm)
- Add to dry mixture in bowl.
- Beat at low speed with electric mixer for 1/2 minute scraping sides of bowl constantly.
- Beat 3 minutes at high speed.
- Slowly stir in oats, gluten and remaining flour to make a stiff dough. Take note that gluten is added to freshly ground wheat flour in order to give elasticity and and more volume.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead till smooth and elastic (8-10 min.)
- Shape into ball and place in a lightly greased bowl.
- Cover and let rise in warm place until double (45 minutes)
- Punch dough down and return to lightly floured surface.
- Divide in half and shape dough into two greased bread pans. (medium size)
- Cover and let rise for until double.
- Bake at 375 F. for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.
Take note: You can also make this same bread using commercial wheat flour and you would not need to add the gluten as it is only needed on coarse whole grain flours.
I will be packing a loaf of fresh bread for our anniversary picnic today!