Nothing warms the tummy like a hearty bowl of soup
served up with fresh baked bread.
Why not bake up an apple pie or crisp to finish off the meal.
Cheeseburger soup is thick and rich,
and will have your kids asking for a second bowl.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp parsley flakes
- 8 tbsp butter, melted
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups Velveeta cheese
- 4 cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- In a large heavy soup pot brown beef. Half way through browning add onions, carrots and parsley. Continue to brown until vegetables are tender.
- Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn down and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- In microwave or a small pot on stove top melt butter and stir in flour until smooth. Stir this into the hot soup.
- Cut Velveeta into cubes and add to hot soup along with milk, salt and pepper.
- Stir over low heat until cheese has all melted. Remove from heat.
- Garnish each bowl with a dollop of sour cream.
Soup will scorch easily so make sure you turn your burner to simmer once potatoes are cooked and you begin to add the milk and cheese. This soup can be reheated very slowly. Does not freeze well.