This is comfort food for sure.
We own our own business and work from home
so I'm always having to think up something for lunch.
This hot sandwich provides a quick and welcome meal.
- 2 slices bacon cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 onion, cut in half and then sliced
- 1 Tablespoon butter ( if needed)
- 5 or 6 large mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese - I prefer Swiss or Gryuere
- whole wheat or 7 grain buns
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towel, reserving 1 Tablespoon bacon fat
- Add sliced onion to the pan and cook over medium heat until wilted.
- Add mushrooms and butter and continue to cook until mushrooms and onions are browned.
- Add bacon pieces and sprinkle shredded cheese over top.
- Cover and remove from heat.
- Cut buns in half and toast lightly.
- Butter buns (if desired) and top with mushroom/melted cheese mixture.
- Serve with tossed salad.