This savoury bread pudding can be served as an alternative to potatoes or pasta.
The flavours of tomato, basil and Parmesan are wonderful together.
- 8 slices whole wheat or multi grain bread
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots thinly sliced or 1 leek, white part only, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces grape tomatoes cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Butter an oval glass casserole dish ( see picture) or a 9x 13" glass baking pan.
- Cut bread into cubes and place in dish.
- In a skillet, heat oil and cook shallots or leeks and garlic for 3-5 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and add basil, tossing lightly.
- Pour tomatoes and shallots over bread cubes in pan.
- Add 1 cups of Parmesan cheese and toss mixture until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Make egg mixture.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add milk and beat, adding salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over bread and tomatoes. Stir lightly to be sure all the bread is moistened.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan over the pudding.
- Bake at 375 degreesfor about 20-30 minutes or until pudding is puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes or so before serving.