Last summer we toured Prince Edward Island, and on the advice of a local, we visited PEI Preserve Company and had a fine meal meal in their restaurant. Their sampled their dessert specialty...'Raspberry Cream Cheese Pie'. Of course! I took note and I took a photo. Now that the raspberries in our garden are ripe, I made my own version of their famous pie. It went over well! So here it is...PEI raspberry cream cheese pie made with BC raspberries.
1- 9 or 10-inch baked pie shell, pre-baked
Cream cheese filling:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add the cream, beating until thickened.
- Spoon into prepared pie crust and spread evenly.
- 5 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- In large saucepan, mix granulated sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add water and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in 2 cups of the raspberries.
- Heat to boiling.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Add 3 cups fresh raspberries to the cooled mixture and stir gently to coat all the berries.
- Spoon over cream cheese layer of pie.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In medium bowl, beat whipping cream, sugar and vanilla on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish entire pie or individual slices with whipped cream when serving.
- Store pie in refrigerator.
* If you prefer a thinner 'cream cheese layer' cut the recipe in half.