Happy Thanksgiving to our own Ellen, and all our American friends.
At Christmas we always make Meat Buns, but this year in addition I added Bierocks, or Runzas, another version of Fleisch Perishky. I used the dough recipe from Judy's meat buns and shaped the buns in a different way so I would know which buns were regular meat buns or which were Bierocks when I pulled them from the freezer. The filling is very simple made with beef, cabbage, cheese, onions and mustard that binds it all together.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 cups (or more) of shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- Brown the ground beef with the onion. Season to taste.
- Drain all the fat.
- Return the meat to the frying pan and add the cabbage. Cook another 15-20 minutes until cabbage is soft.
- Remove from heat, add cheese and mustard, mix well and cool.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts, rolling each part into a circle and cut each circle in 8 parts for larger buns, or 5-6 parts cut into 8 pieces for smaller buns.
- Place a spoonful at the end and roll up like the picture or just make a small bun, flatten and fill.
- Before baking I brushed the top with a beaten egg and a bit of water.
- Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.