Growing up on a chicken farm my Mom would often make a Roasted Chicken with Bubbat for dinner. Every now and then my nostalgic side takes over my taste buds. . .and the old recipes need to be made once again.
Bubbat is really just a raisin quick bread that is baked inside the chicken while it is being roasted. It also can be baked along side the chicken or even baked in a 8 X 8 square pan and served with the chicken. Baking it inside the chicken gives it the best flavour since it is kept moist by the chicken drippings.
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup milk1 cup of fresh raisins
- Mix the dry ingredients. Add the beaten egg, melted butter and milk.
- Mix well, and add the raisins.
- You can either spread it in a greased cake pan. . and bake it. .
- or you can spoon it into the cavity of the chicken. I used a ordinary 3 - 3 1/2 pound fryer but would have doubled the recipe for a large roaster.
- Baste the chicken with melted butter and bake uncovered for about 2 hours at 375.
- The drumstick should move easily and the internal temperature of the chicken should be 180. F