Shrimp Cocktail served in a pretty stemmed dish is a classic first course for a festive dinner party. This one is easy to make and proves popular with my guests. I'm posting this recipe at the request of several of the "Mennonite Girls" to whom I served it back in September.
- Shredded lettuce
- fresh or frozen cooked Shrimp and/or prawns*
- Lemon slices (optional - for garnish)
- fresh chopped parsley
For the cocktail sauce:
- 1/2 cup bottled Chili Sauce (I use Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon rind (if desired)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A dash or two Tabasco or other hot sauce
- In a small bowl, mix all cocktail sauce ingredients.
- Set aside.
- Fill the bottom 1/3 of each dish with shredded lettuce.
- Add smaller prawns or shrimp so that the dish is 3/4 full
- Spoon a generous tablespoon of cocktail sauce in to the centre of the shrimp.
- Drape 3 large prawns with the tail on over the edge of each dish
- Garnish with a lemon wedge or slice and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- This amount of sauce would be enough for 6 shrimp cocktails.