This cottage cheese pastry is one I have used in the past for sweet rolls...specifically Orange Glazed Cheese Pastries. But I discovered it is also a great pastry for savory appetizers. Wee sausage rolls make a yummy appetizer served with a mustard dipping sauce, pickles and cheese.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, cold
- 1 cup creamed cottage cheese
- 1 package (500 grams / 1 pound) cocktail sausages
- Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Using a large-holed grater, grate the butter and stir into flour mixture.
- Add creamed cottage cheese (I like to process the cottage cheese slightly in the blender to get rid of lumps first).
- Mix until smooth.
- Wrap in plastic and chill for several hours.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts and shape into disks.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each disk into a fairly thin circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Cut each circle into 8 wedges, pizza style. Using a pizza wheel works great for this.
- Place one wee cocktail sausage on the wide edge of each wedge, and roll up pastry around the sausage.
- Place the pointy side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper or well greased.
- Bake at 375° for about 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire cooling rack.
*These can also be frozen and re-heated before serving.