I found several recipes for this cake on Pinterest recently and because we love the chocolate Texas Sheet Cake I thought it would be nice to try a "white" version.
I added toffee bits and toasted almonds to the frosting and everyone who tried it gave me a thumbs up. So here is the recipe as I made it.
Ingredients for the cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Ingredients for the Icing:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4-5 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- salt to taste
- 1 1/4 cups toffee bits (you can buy these in the baking aisle)
- 1 1/4 cups almonds, lightly toasted*
*I toast these in a dry frying pan over medium heat, stirring frequently until nicely browned. They will burn very quickly so watch them closely.
Method for the cake:
- Grease and flour an 11" x 15" baking pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Place butter and water in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- In a measuring cup, mix buttermilk with eggs until blended, stir in vanilla.
- Add buttermilk/egg mixture to bowl of dry ingredients and mix just until all the flour is moistened.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, add large dollops of this batter to the butter/water mixture in the saucepan, mixing very well between additions.
- When it is all combined, pour into prepared baking pan and bake at 375º for 25 minutes or until cake is set.
- Let cool 10 minutes before preparing icing. You should ice the cake while it is still warm.
Method for Frosting:
- Bring butter and buttermilk to a boil in a large saucepan. (It will look a bit curdled)
- Remove from heat and mix in 3 cups icing sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt if desired. Continue to add icing sugar and mix until desired consistency is reached. (This frosting will thicken as it cools so work fairly quickly. I was almost a cup short of icing sugar when I made this and even though the icing looked fairly runny when I poured it over the cake it still set nicely.)
- Stir in toffee bits and all but 1/4 cup of the almonds.
- Spread over warm cake and sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Let cool before serving.
- Makes 20 generous sized pieces. This freezes very well.