Last year my sister and I sat around my dad's kitchen table complimenting him on his pea soup. Our dad has become quite the cook since becoming a widower and he loves it when we ask him for his recipes. This has become one of our favourites. I make it in a crock pot but it can be made on the stove top as well. This soup freezes well and is perfect to bring along camping or deliver to a shut in.
- 2 cups dry green peas
- 2 cups lean ham, cubes ( I use left over ham or purchase a large ham steak and cut it up)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup hot milk (optional)
- Wash and rinse peas and place in the bottom of the crock pot. (no need to soak peas)
- Cut us meat and vegetables and place over peas. Add spices.
- Pour boiling water over all and give mixture a stir.
- Cover crock pot and turn on low. Let cook for 6-8 hours. If cooking on the stove top you will need to turn to low and stir once in a while so soup does not scorch. If cooking on the stove top soup could be ready in 3-4 hours. Make sure peas have completely gone to mush. Soup will be thick.
- Once soup is fully done you can add the hot milk and stir well to incorporate. This is optional.