On a recent trip to Denmark we were served a lovely salad at a "Taste of Spring" Buffet. It was beautifully garnished with tiny edible red flower petals. I've substituted the more available finely chopped red pepper.
If you have edible flower petals available use them.
I think it would be a lovely addition to a summer BBQ as you can prepare the vegetables ahead and assemble it at the last minute.
Here is my version of this spring salad:
- 1 shallot very finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 20-30 fresh green beans
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- packaged spring salad greens or red and green leaf lettuce
- 1/4 of a red pepper, chopped finely and blotted dry
For the Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup good virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- salt and pepper
- Place shallots in a small bowl and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil.
- Stir to coat and let sit for about 1/2 hour. This will remove that sharp raw taste from the shallots.
- Trim green beans and cut into 1 1/2" lengths.
- Blanch beans for one minute in boiling water and immediately plunge into ice water. Remove as soon as they are cool.
- Snap ends off asparagus spears and break into 1 1/2" pieces.
- Blanch asparagus as you did with the beans.
- Blot vegetables dry and set aside in a bowl.
- For Vinaigrette: Mix oil, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, lemon zest and seasonings in a blender or shaker.
- Add shallots to beans and asparagus in a bowl.
- Pour about 1/2 of the dressing over beans and asparagus and toss to coat. Let sit until serving time.
- Arrange salad greens on a large serving platter.
- Using a slotted spoon, arrange beans and asparagus on salad greens.
- Scatter with chopped red pepper.
- Finely chop 2 of the hard boiled eggs and arrange over salad.
- Cut remaining eggs into narrow wedges and garnish salad.
- Serve with remaining dressing on the side.