These savoury corn cakes are a great side dish to your menu. To add a bit more zip serve with sour cream, salsa and extra herbs.
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cups corn, cooked and drained
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a medium size bowl combine dry ingredients with grated cheese and set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together corn, buttermilk, egg, and melted butter.
- Pour corn mixture over dry ingredients and stir just until moistened, like you would for a muffin batter.
- Scoop batter for each cake on a hot grill (350º) which has been lightly greased.
- They will spread a bit so no need to flatten them.
- Cook for 4 or 5 minutes on one side, until brown at the edges, flip and cook another 4 minutes.
- Yield: 7 cakes