I looked at some regular recipes and came up with my own gluten-free version.
We enjoyed them this evening with Anneliese's 'Chicken Chow Mein' - substituting white rice noodles for the wheat ones .
So here is my recipe -- a bit of work to prepare but I thought it worth it.
Egg Roll Filling
- 10 oz of Mennonite Farmer sausage crumbled (this is the Mennonite part- smile) or use ground pork
- 1/2 cup of shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup of chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup of chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp gf soya sauce
- 1 tbsp molasses
- salt, pepper (as desired)
- panfry the sausage or pork in a little oil .. until it is no longer pink
- add the vegetables and stirring... cook for several minutes
- mix the cornstarch, soya sauce and molasses and pour over the meat/veggie mixture
- cook for a couple more minutes
- remove from heat and cool
- 1/2 cup white corn flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup ice water
- mix dry ingredients together
- whisk egg into ice water
- pour liquids over flour mix and stir, then knead into a smooth ball
- cover dough with plastic wrap or in a ziplock bag and let it rest for 1/2 - 1 hour
- roll dough out fairly thin , and cut into 3 x 4 inch pieces.
- add filling making a ridge along the center of each dough piece and fold dough over to make a roll
- heat oil and deep fry the rolls until they are golden .
- Serve them hot with sweet and sour sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp real lemon juice
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- mix all ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook until mixture bubbles and thickens.
(I warmed these rolls in the microwave the next day and they were great! )