I got this salad idea from my friend Verna.
The dressing is especially good although I've reduced the sugar a bit for less sweetness.
The picture was taken in the summertime when I'd substituted a nectarine for the pear.
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 unpeeled apple, (Gala or Fuji)
- 1 unpeeled pear - use your favourite variety
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashews
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, or use 1/2 cup Swiss and 1/2 cup Cheddar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a salad dressing shaker or in a blender.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Wash Romaine lettuce and tear into bite sized pieces
- Core and cut apple and pear into small pieces
- Place salad ingredients into a large salad bowl, keeping back 2 tablespoons each of the shredded cheese and cashews.
- Shake dressings once more and drizzle over salad.
- Garnish with reserved cheese and cashews and serve immediately.