I had a basket of grape tomatoes left over from a bridal shower and needed to use them before they turned too soft. I thought I might try roasting them to serve with our steak and, oh my goodness, did we ever enjoy them.
Here is the recipe. I hope you like them as much as we did.
- 2 - 3 cups grape tomatoes - cut each in half
- 1 small zucchini cut into slices
- 1/2 a yellow bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 shallot (or a small onion or leek) chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed *
- chopped fresh basil if desired
- Combine vegetables in a bowl.
- Mix oil and spices and toss with vegetables.
- Spread vegetables on a parchment lined baking pan. The tomatoes should be cut side down if possible and the veggies should not be crowded.
- Roast at 350º oven for one hour. Alternatively, you can do this on the BBQ.
- If you like, you can brown 2 Tablespoons of Panko bread crumbs with 2 teaspoons of melted butter and then sprinkle the crumbs over the tomatoes just before serving.
- Serve as a side dish.
* I’ve not tried it but I think that thinly sliced fennel could replace the fennel seed.