I've had this recipe since early in our marriage and have always enjoyed the
combination of flavours.
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 10 oz. jar of apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Cream butter and brown sugar.
- Blend in apricot jam and orange rind.
- Add beaten eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add 1 cup flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix well.
- Beat in mashed bananas, mixing well.
- Add remaining 3/4 cup flour and mix for 2 minutes or until well blended.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9"x13" pan
- Bake in 350º oven for 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted, comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
Note: I like to substitute orange marmalade for half the apricot jam (omit the orange rind) or you can use peach jam instead of the apricot.
You can also ice these bars with cream cheese or browned butter icing if you prefer.
Anneliese and Lovella are on the first leg of their book tour. Today they are in Waterloo, Ontario and will be hosted by Kathy from Menno Media. Tomorrow they'll be on CTV, Kitchener at 11:30. If you live in this area, be sure to watch.