The first Monday in August is a
civic holiday in most Canadian Provinces.
It is the most popular weekend for summer travel.
Whether you are at home or traveling
take some time to enjoy the day!
We've been enjoying sunshine here in the valley,
and breakfast outside is always a nice holiday treat.
For this french toast I used nectarines and ricotta cheese
and dipped the bread in an orange infused egg batter.
Ingredients: (makes 4, serving 2)
- 4 -1 1/4" thick slices french bread
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 large nectarine, chopped fine
- 1 tbsp butter
- maple syrup
- maple syrup
- Slice bread and then slice each piece making a deep pocket making sure you do not cut all the way through.
- Shake together the next 5 ingredients and pour into a shallow dish.
- Mix together ricotta, brown sugar and chopped nectarine.
- Stuff the bread pocket with fruit and cheese mixture.
- Melt butter in a large flat grill turned to medium heat.
- Dip stuffed bread into egg mixture and flip to coat both sides. Place onto hot grill. To make sure the egg mixture that has soaked into the bread gets done and the filling gets hot make sure your grill is not too high. A longer slightly lower heat will result in a perfectly baked french toast.
- When done serve immediately with warm maple syrup and fresh blueberries.
You can substitute apricots or strawberries for the stuffed fruit with raspberries on top. It's best to use firmer fruits on the inside so the bread does not get soggy.