This is the recipe I reach for when I want to make a quick dessert
that will be guaranteed to please my guests.
You can adapt this recipe by making your own custard filling.
I find the Jello Cooked Pudding mix works just fine.
For the Graham Cracker crust:
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/ 1/2 cups graham wafer crumbs
- 1- 2 Tbsp sugar.
For the Custard filling:
- 1 package Jello Cooked pudding mix
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 large bananas peeled
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1-2 tablespoons icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- Reserve about 1/2 cup crumbs and press remaining crumbs into 9 or 10 inch pie plate.
- Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- In a large bowl or glass 8 cup measure, stir pudding mix with milk, blending well with whisk.
- Microwave a minute at a time, stirring well each time until mixture begins to thicken and bubble.
- Add butter and vanilla, stirring well. Let it cool, stirring every few minutes while you prepare the bananas.
- Cut 2 or 3 large bananas into 1/2 inch slices and arrange on the bottom and around the sides of the graham crust.
- Pour warm custard filling over bananas and refrigerate until filling is completely cold.
- Whip one pint of Whipping cream icing sugar and vanilla.
- Spread over custard and sprinkle with reserved crumbs. Refrigerate until serving.