I served this cake at my husband's 60th birthday party this weekend and had so many requests for the recipe that I said I'd post it here. I got the recipe from my good friend Betti.
The secret to the incredible taste is the caramel sauce poured over the warm cake and the Skor bar garnish of course. Read the recipe over before preparing.
For the Cake:
- 1 cup margarine
- 6 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 cups Whipping Cream
- 2 or 3 Skor Chocolate Bars or another crunchy brittle style chocolate bar.
- Melt margarine, add cocoa and hot water and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and put into mixing bowl
- Add sugar,baking soda, salt, vanilla and flour.
- Beat until smooth
- Add beaten eggs and sour cream and mix well.
- Spread in jelly roll pan.
- Bake at 350˚ for 20 minutes or until done.
- Meanwhile prepare Caramel sauce.
- Melt margarine.
- Add brown sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Watch carefully as it scorches easily.
- Remove cake from oven, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Poke holes in cake with meat fork about 1/2-1 inch apart.
- Spoon some of the caramel sauce over the cake, filling all the holes.
- Let remaining sauce cool to spreading consistency. Then spread remainder of sauce over cake.
- When cake is no longer warm, whip 1 1/2 cups heavy cream,
- Spread over caramel layer.
- Crumble Skor bars and sprinkle over cream layer.
- Store in refrigerator until serving. Don't plan on leftovers!
If you want to freeze all or part of this cake, leave the Skor bar crumbles off until you serve it. They tend to lose their crunchiness in the freezer.