- 6 eggs
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. oil
- Scald the milk.
- Beat the eggs in large bowl of mixer.
- Slowly add the milk to the eggs while continuing beating.
- Add salt, sugar and oil, beat until blended.
- Slowly beat in the flour until combined.
- Using one or two 10″ heavy Teflon pans to cook the blintzes.
- Coat the pan lightly with oil. (I use a piece of cheesecloth to coat the pan with oil and if needed I’ll coat again into the cooking process).
- Heat the pan to medium high heat.
- Use a 1/3 cup measure to dip into the mixing bowl (you don’t have to fill to the top just use a uniform measure of the liquid for each blintz) and pour into frying pan and swirl the pan to coat the bottom evenly.
- Cook until the blintz turns a nice golden brown.
- With a spatula loosen the edges and flip the blintz to brown the other side.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a dish cloth.
- Repeat the process till all the egg mixture is used up.
Cheese filling for the blintzes:
- 8 ounces of ricotta cheese. (You can also use cottage cheese, hoop cheese or farmers cheese)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces half and half
- 1 stick of butter
- Beat all the ingredients till smooth except the half and half and stick of butter.
- Spread about 1 Tablespoon of cheese onto one side of blintz.
- Roll up and place in a 9×13 baking dish.
- You can fill the dish with two layers.
- Melt one cube of butter and pour over the blintzes.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until heated through.
- Heat up to 8 ounces of Half and Half until warm but not boiling.
- Pour half and half evenly over blintzes and continue baking until half and half boils.
- Remove from oven and serve with sour cream and preserves or syrup.
For a savory filling:
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 pound ground meat (15%)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced fresh broccoli
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- Saute onion in oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Add hamburger and brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, set aside.
- Steam broccoli until it just turns bright green.
- Combine meat, broccoli, cream of mushroom soup and heat through.
- Scoop about 2-3 T of mixture onto blintz and fold in the sides to form a square.
- Place in a greased baking dish.
- Melt butter and poor over the filled blintzes, evenly.
- Bake in a 350 to 375 degree oven until heated through.
- Serve with sour cream.