Today was a comfort food kind of day and this dish tops my list of comfort foods.
For many years my children preferred it to the boxed mac and cheese
and it really doesn't take much longer to make from scratch.
- 2 cups macaroni - cooked and drained
- cheddar cheese ( old/sharp is best) coarsely grated.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
The method is the same.)
- Melt butter in 8 cup microwavable bowl or medium saucepan.
- Stir in flour with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Very gradually add milk, stirring smooth with each addition.
- Microwave for 1 minute at a time, stirring well each time until sauce bubbles.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In buttered casserole dish, place a layer of cooked macaroni.
- Pour 1/2 of white sauce over to cover.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until it bubbles at the edges.